For what it is worth, I have made the decision to pull all my short stories off of Smashwords only keeping Yew Manor and Coventry House on the website. Both of those novellas are copyrighted with an ISBN number and cost $.99 apiece.
If you want free copies of my short stories, you have until Tuesday, July 31st to get them in whatever format you want:
- Death Comes Calling
- The Star
- The City of Sarkomand: A Guide for the Traveler
- The Rotwang Convention For Mad Scientists
- The Adventures of Belinda McFate: The Literary World's Weakest Female Character!
For what it is worth, here is my reasoning:
- I thought that making free samples of my work available would drive up interest in the stories I charge for. This has not been the case.
- Ethically, I did not want to put an ISBN on my short stories because that would cost Smashwords and since I am giving away the stories for free, Smashwords would never have made a penny in profit. Deep down, I am a capitalist.
- Not putting an ISBN on the works made them ripe for theft and in a number of downloadable formats that made that theft even easier.
What is happening in the future:
- Though I am adaptable to other developments, CreateSpace will now be my future avenue for self-publishing for collections of my short stories and some novellas.
- Future novels and some novellas will be agented, not self-published.
It may be that somebody with more experience has a better idea or plan of attack. I would love to hear it as I am very teachable.
Be aware that if you do not have a LiveJournal account, you may post anonymously, but I would appreciate you still markingb the post with your name. Including your website is optional, but preferred.