When many of my readers discover I am an active member of the clergy, they are surprised and well they should be. Though much of my work contains strong religious themes, it would never pass the gatekeepers at Christian Book Distributors.
And you know what? That's fine with me.
Here's the skinny on how I view this whole affair (and, no, you don't have to agree with me):
- I write to entertain, period and touch arenas that are important to me. If my stories make you think, awesome, but that is not their true purpose.
- I write for an audience of one: me. Yes, that's arrogant, but if I write for somebody else, I lose my voice and it's the same for you. Writing for yourself is art. Writing for others is hack work. By the bye, that's why it's okay if you hate my stuff. I'm not writing for you anyway. If you like my work, I welcome you as a kindred soul. THANK YOU! Please allow me to continue to entertain you.
- I am an evangelical Christian. Want to know what I believe? Here it is an a nutshell.
- I do not write Christian fiction.
- I am a Christian who writes fiction.
- And as I despise fiction that is nothing more than a bully pulpit, I DON'T WRITE IT EITHER. And be assured that bully pulpit fiction is not restricted to Christians. Atheists and pagans have been known to heartily indulge also and it ALL is garbage and a waste of everybody's time except for those who are already believers in the promoted worldview.
Questions? Comments? Criticisms? Rebuttals, Accusations? Death Threats?